May 22, 2023 - The Smithson Valley High School Key Club received the 2022 Community Volunteer of the Year award by the Bulverde Spring Branch Chamber of Commerce in February and was recognized by the Comal ISD Board of Trustees during its May meeting.
With 44 active student members, the SVHS Key Club was nominated for the award because of the work it has done in the community. Part of the Hill Country Kiwanis Organization, the Key Club, is a service leadership program.
The SVHS club has been busy this school year with many service events including these:
- Making dog toys for area dog shelters;
- Writing ‘words of kindness’ notes to senior citizens;
- Giving pins and nots to breast cancer suvivors;
- Painting faces at the campus’ Fall Festival for younger students in the district;
- Volunteering with the Salvation Army bell ringing at Walmart;
- Volunteering with the Friday night Bingo in Bulverde;
- Volunteering to set-up the awards banquet;
- Volunteering with the community shred day;
- Volunteering with the drug take-back day; and
- Leading a diaper drive for St. Jude’s ranch and SHARE Center.
Members of the SVHS Key Club include Lauryn Alonzo, Liliana Beierschmitt, Avery Blair , Kaylee Carmichael, Madeleine Chaney, Audrey Dierschke, Brynn Englefield, Olivia Fuentes, Grace Guest, Selene Hose, Emily Ingram, Olivia Ingram, Cliodna Kelly, Taitum Layton, Savannah Leonard, Abigail Lira, Madeline Mahan, Delaney Martin, Michael McCarthy, Zachary McDaris, Callaghan McGuire, Carissa Mendoza, Ainsley Milikien, Rachel Moore, Andrea Morales, Angela Morales, Bella Ortiz, Brady Parker, Trieste Perciavalle, Avery Pipes, Bella Reyes, Laine Richard, Macey Rodriguez, Raegan Roussett, Andrew Roznovsky, Sarah Salem, Marissa Santiago, Zachary Skrobarcek, Amanda Speelman, Hannah Stemig, Sebastian Tellez-Avella, Brielle Thomas, Tatum Tomallo, Jessie Trevino, Alex Whelchel, Isabella White, Samual Wirtjes, Genesis Wong-Gonzalez and Taylor Wood.
The SVHS Key Club advisers are teachers Carol Speelman and Debbie Shewbridge.
-Members of the Smithson Valley High School Key Club were recognized at the Comal ISD Board of Trustees meeting in May for winning the Community Volunteer of the Year award by the Bulverde Spring Branch Chamber of Commerce.
-Pictured are a few of members of the Smithson Valley High School Key Club which received the 2022 Community Volunteer of the Year Award by the Bulverde Spring Branch Chamber of Commerce. From left is Andrea Morales, Angela Morales, Genesis Gonzalez-Wong, Amanda Speelman, Ainsley Milikien, Isabella Reyes, Emily Ingram, Olivia Ingram, Carissa Mendoza and Madeleine Chaney.